The internet is a big place. For those selling products that can be downloaded digitally, location is not important. But for retail shops, restaurants, and other local businesses - local SEO is they key to a successful internet marketing strategy.
Other than focusing on local keywords, here are some ways to give your website exposure locally:
- Use local networks, such as local social media, local forums
- Partner with other local sites and focus on building relationships with other sites physically close to you
- Use local media such as online newspapers, that usually have free forums, classifieds, and other media
- Get business citations in addition to traditional link building
- Direct contact with local businesses
Depending on your market, local SEO can be easy to dominate (if not much competition), or extremely hard.